Friday, August 19, 2011

May 5th - The Island of Inishmore! - Part One

The Island of Inishmore!

Here we are making our lunches for the day.  We are in the hostel's kitchen and we were extremely cramped!  It was a very small kitchen for 40+ of us then thats not including the other travelers in the hostel as well!  Mornings were a bit hectic sometimes but it was still wonderful!

The ferry that we took across to Inishmore.  No idea what it means or how to say it! But its Irish Gaelic how cool is that!!

Let me just say it was breezy and COLD on the top of that Ferry!  There was a level below that was inside but I didn't want to get motion sickness and staying outside in the wind and fresh air helped me.  I was definitely all bundled up here!  I came PREPARED!  Almost everyone else chickened out and went below halfway through.  It was a long ride too at least a couple hours or more.  But it was still beautiful.  And the weather was the typical Irish weather we all hear about.

Yes we biked the entire Island!  It was so spectacular! There is a low road and a high road that leads upto this amazing domed clifftop called Dun Aengus where we were to meet with our whole group for lunch and such. I went with my friend Taibre and we took the low road on the way there and then the high road back.  The low road was by far the BEST one.  The view was just breathtaking as you will see from more pictures shortly!  Oh and yes and it was about 4 miles there and then 4 miles back.  What a wonderful workout!  I was so happy though that I was able to make it THANK YOU to riding my bike to work back in Rexburg 3 miles each way!
Look at this beautiful, glorious sight!  I was just in awe the whole time we were riding.  Tailbre and I are botht camera nuts and we kept stopping at every little thing to take pictures.  I wish I had time to sit down and writer either in my journal or even just a short story or even just a detailed description of what I saw and felt when there.  I swear I'm going to back there someday!

My lovely little cheap fujifilm cameria has a panorama option on it so I took this picture.  They hard to take and look good because you have to match each frame up perfectly and with waves moving... that doesn't really work but I still really love this picture! :D

So Taibre and I were just riding along taking pictures when we came upon this couple who had binoculars out and were looking at the shoreline.  They were this awesome dutch couple and they told us that there were seals out there.  Now I know its almost impossilbe to see but right in the middle there are little bumbs that are the seals.  They let us borrow their binoculars so we were able to see them too!  They were an awesome couple and we kept running into them at the clifftop oh and even better when we went to Dublin that day we saw them too!  It was so bizarre but way cool! I love meeting fellow travelers who aren't rude and I just as excited to see things as you are and willing to share. :D

Look at this amazing beach and coastline!  I just fell in love with this place.  It was a such a remote island and you can just tell that the people who live, stay because they don't feel a need to be surrounded by bustleing cities and people.  It was all just so surreal!


This where we started to hike up to the cliff top of Dun Aegusa and the sun finally decided to fully peep out behind the clouds.  I'm soaking up the wonderful Vitamin D :)


No comments: