Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bollywood!

In order to distract myself and also a way of keeping me busy I have found a new obsession.  Netflix truly is a wonderful invention especially when finding old things to watch that you wouldn't find in a video store.  Bollywood or in other India's version of Hollywood.  What is so wonderful about Bollywood movies you may ask?  The singing and dancing in EVERY movie of course!  The first movie I watched was called Dil Bole Hadippa and it was HILARIOUS!  I couldn't stop laughing basically the entire movie and I also wanted to get up and dance like crazy with their awesome music. 

Now I have probably watched at least one Bollywood movie a day in the past week or so.  I have found the songs on youtube with the lyrics and have started memorizing them.  Haha and yeah ... they are all in Hindi.  I do NOT speak Hindi and I'm not making any suggestions that I am a Bollywood genius.  However I am definitley a crazed fan.  I have found certain actresses and actors that I love and have tried watching their movies the most. 

Here are three of Bollywood movies I have watched so far and my thoughts and feelings on them.  I have no life so now I'm going to starting reviewing movies or even books that I read just for the heck of it! :D

Dil Bole Hadippa - 5 stars!  A romantic comedy about a very lively young woman who loves playing Cricket (aka Hadippa) and is an amazing batsman.  She goes to try-outs for a national team only to be turned away at the gate for being a woman.  Ahha but that doesn't stop her she just happens to work for a small theater company and ends up dressing herself up as a man to play on the team.  And then of course I'm sure anyone can guess the outcome.  It was just a funny, upbeat and very lively production.  Lots of BIG musical dancing numbers that will leave you wanting to learn the steps..trust me I've tried and failed but still keep trying! :)   This is a perfect movie to first get introduced to the Bollywood scene.  The subtittles will barely deter you from the comedy!

Hum Tum - 4 stars!  My favorite romance one that does have comedy but not as much as Hadippa does. Two Indian strangers meet on a plane to NY and over the next 10 years or so seem to randomly meet up and their frienship begins to develop.  

Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic - 4 stars!  Sweet romance and family movie.  A wealthy business man is the cause of a car accident that kills a man and woman living behind their 4 children as orphans.  The judge rules that the children must come live with him.  God, decides that the children need some help so sends one of his more michieveous angles as a Nanny to help bring the children and the man together.  Very, very cute with some adorable scenes with the kids and a little bit of silly magic as well.

No comments: