My sister said to me, "but remember you couldn't wait to get out of NY". I know the main reason why I left NY and that is also the main reason why I like Utah. I left NY because I missed having the large population of single young adult LDS members around me. NY - or at least the area I'm from - isn't the best 'social scene'. Utah... however definitely is.
Yet the things I missed about NY are the things I can't stand about Utah. Mainly, the city, the heat, the traffic, the dryness, the lack of trees, green and rolling hills and lakes. NY has all of that but it does NOT have any job opportunities either. My first week back home in Utah - because lets be honest, I need to start considering Utah my home - I was extremely pessimistic and tried to find things I didn't like about this place.
Then I reread a previous blog entry, where I learned while in the temple that I am MEANT TO BE HERE! It isn't easy for me to admit to this or even be bouncy, happy and excited about it. If I keep getting caught up in what I don't like about Utah, I'm never going to find the things that I DO like about it.
THE NUMBER ONE REASON WHY I LOVE UTAH!:
![]() |
| Oquirrh Mountain Temple, South Jordan, UT |
The TEMPLES! The beautiful, majestic temples that seem to be everywhere you look. Driving to work in the morning I pass the first on on my left. I know exactly where and when to look to find the next temple far off on my right, a pinpoint of light against the mountains. I know where to look between the trees and buildings to see another one to my left. I know how far I have to drive to look in my rear view mirror to find the first standing tall in the distance. Every time I'm driving I'm searching to see one of the temples in the Salt Lake Valley, and I swear there is at least always one somewhere in my line of sight. I love driving down the Mountain View Corridor road and being able to look around and see all three temples sitting on their hilltops across the valley.
I have been so blessed since coming to Utah, to have the chance to go to to the Temple almost EVERY WEEK! To feel the sacredness of those walls, to feel the love of my Savior and receive answers to questions and peace from my fears and doubts. There is no other place on this earth where one can even come close to the serenity that is encompassed in those walls.
![]() |
| Draper Temple, UT |
Why am I in Utah? Why did I not go to Scotland? I think the number one reason for that is so I could come to love and truly appreciate the power and blessings from the Temple. If I had gone to Scotland right after going through the Temple, I would have probably been able to go to the Temple only once or twice for the whole year! I go now almost every week! I've even gone multiple times in a week depending on my mood and frame of mind.
Even though I'm struggling right now trying to find a new job and being able to afford all my bills, I wouldn't give up the opportunity to go to the temple. I will gladly accept these challenges and stresses in my life if it means I can seek the peace and comfort in the temples every week!
![]() |
| Jordan River Temple, South Jordan UT |
SECOND REASON WHY I LOVE UTAH!
I haven't attended a Young Single Adults (YSA) Ward since I was back in Rexburg going to school. I liked my Student wards there and I stayed in the same complex for almost all 5 years of being in school because I loved the bishopric. I made some friends but never truly instantly clicked with a large group of people.
The Daybreak YSA Ward is an absolute blessing! I LOVE my bishopric they are truly remarkable men who love all of us and want us to be happy with our lives. I'm not afraid, uncomfortable,or awkward in going up to Bishop Robison to ask for advice or guidance in anything. He actually helped me put together a resume so I can start finding a better job then the one I have now. I'm grateful for the my calling in this ward, as a Temple Committee Co-Chair. It was another blessing to have this calling and has caused me to love this ward more and also the temples more as well.
Even though I don't know everybody in my new ward and some are leaving and many are coming in, I'm comfortable here. I feel as if I completely belong. I feel welcomed and wanted. Sundays and Monday nights are now my favorite days of the week! When Sunday ends I can't wait for next Sunday. It's more than just the fact that I don't have to work (which is a complete blessing in itself!) I love feeling the spirit from all these wonderful people. A lot of them are struggling to find careers and making big decisions in their life like I am. I seriously couldn't have asked for a better place to be than in this ward. I'm running out of funds and probably can't afford my rent for much longer but I can't leave this ward behind, because I'm not finished with it and it surely is not finished with me.
THIRD REASON WHY I LOVE UTAH!
I do love seeing the mountains surrounding me on both sides. When I first got home in NY I kept getting lost, I never have a clue if I'm clue going east, west, north or south. It's too congested with trees and hills. I wish I had been able to utilize the mountains more often this summer and go hiking to different areas. I really do enjoy hiking but I had just moved into this ward and hiking isn't any fun without going with friends. Maybe this fall, which is my favorite season of the year (if Utah gives me a fall that is) I will get the chance to do a little more hiking if possible. If not, then definitely next summer I'm going to go every other week at least if it's possible!
I will continue to search for more reasons why I LOVE UTAH instead of constantly only looking at the reasons why I hate Utah. I need to be a glass half full kind of a girl instead of a glass half empty if I'm going to make it in a new place. Utah is a great place, it's just different from what I'm used to and sooner or later I will grow accustomed to it and when I leave, I will miss it like I do NY.
" I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I've ended up where I needed to be."
- Doctor Who



No comments:
Post a Comment